Desert made easy!
Apple Crisp is a legendary home cooked dessert. The good news is, you don’t have to be able to craft a beautiful, flakey pie crust, or bake it exactly like grandma did. This apple desert (or breakfast on a special occasion) is super simple, fast and easy to make.
It is also an adaptable recipe to alter to suit your tastebuds. Select your apple depending on your palette – do you prefer sweet, dry? Bake your favorite variety into the dish.
Modify to suit your dietary needs
You can also reduce the amount of sugar you use to make this treat a little more healthy. When eating for breakfast, try serving with organic greek yogurt and fresh berries.
If you’re looking to indulge with a night of sweets, go for the ultimate pairing – apple pie and vanilla ice cream.
Fun tip: Try a spiral apple corer – it speeds things up and the kids love to help out!
Let's get started...
- 10 cups local apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degree C).
- Place the sliced apples in a 9×13 inch pan. Mix the white sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples. Pour water evenly over all.
- Combine the oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream